『Xiamen plans to ban electric bicycles on Xiamen Island』

  • 2016/5/17 10:25:25
  • 1225
  • What's Hot in Xiamen
A total of 31,000 electric bicycles have been licensed on Xiamen Island after that licensing program began in 2012, but there are still many unlicensed electric bicycles on Xiamen Island as many owners have been unwilling to give up this convenient transportation option.
 
According to draft regulations released by the Xiamen government, the city plans to ban all electric bicycles, except for those used for postal, express and other specific services, from Xiamen Island.
 
Electric bicycles will have to get licensed from authorized departments in order to operate on the island, and they will be restricted to specific areas and periods.
 
The draft regulations have been released for public opinion. An online poll showed that 68 percent of participants supported the draft regulations, and the remaining 32 percent reserved their opinions.
 
The city has successfully banned wooden handcarts, tricycles, horns, and motorcycles on Xiamen Island since the 1990s.

Only licensed e-bikes were allowed to run on Xiamen Island starting from March 1st, 2012. The maximum validity period of the license is 5 years, and licenses are cancelled after expiration. The vehicles may no longer operate on the island once their licenses have expired, except for cases in which an e-bike’s owner successfully applies for a new license.
 
A total of 31,000 electric bicycles have been licensed on Xiamen Island after that licensing program began in 2012, but there are still many unlicensed electric bicycles on Xiamen Island as many owners have been unwilling to give up this convenient transportation option.
 
But should e-bikes be prohibited on Xiamen Island?
 
Some residents held the view that electric bikes are prone to cause chaos and accidents, however, some other people argued that they are more eco-friendly and convenient than cars.
 
SOURCE: WOX Team